Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I feel dirty, yet oddly entertained

While puttering my apartment last night I flipped channels and found The Biggest Loser. It's yet another "competition" reality show where the participants compete to see who can lose the most weight. The contestants ranged from needs to lose 20 or 30 pounds to would rather swallow Jared whole than go on a subway diet.

The way it works is there's a red team and a blue team and whichever team is "The Biggest Loser" wins for the week. Each team is given some hard body personal trainer who regulates their diet and exercise. But the kicker is that the thing is hosted by Carolyn Rhea. I don't know what rock they dug her up from (and I honestly don't know how I know who she is.) but she's awfully close in weight to some of the contestants.

The show overall managed to not be as exploitive as it could have been, although in the beginning all the contestants had to get weighed in their bathing suits. (I put down that last Triscuit during this part.) And one cruel segment did have them come down for breakfast to find a whole table full of eggs, pancakes, sausage and bacon. And it kind of sucks that someone has to be kicked out of the house each week, left to run wild down the neon arch lined boulevard of life. But in this Dr. Phil world of baring your demons for a national television audience what do you expect on a Tuesday night?

I should have just listened to the radio until Scrubs came on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home